Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Oh, Wednesday...

So today was an interesting day. I have tons of pages... of quotes. What ever happened to my own voice? I spent part of the day at the Archives taking photographs from the yearbook to get some background info on the people whom I've been interviewing. Who would've thought that the dashing young gentleman in the Republican Club would go on to claim that he also enjoyed the occasional tryst behind garbage cans in dark alleys. I enjoy these complexities in people's identities. They are fresh reminders that everyone is entitled to traverse through categories unapologetically.

I got an e-mail from alum, class of 1950, who is interested in participating in my study. That brings the total of voices to seven. Given that he has already printed material on his experiences, I know what to expect (or do I?). That also means that I have a whole new 1+ hrs to transcribe. Oh joy. If only I could transcribe as quickly as I rant in this blog. Life would be easier.
Other than the visit to the Archives (which I will, in all likelihood, be repeating on Monday) I have plans to return to the Athenaeum on Friday from 10-4pm (why can't they have the reading room open for longer?) Same for the Archives: 11am-4pm. It's so hard to get things done when you only have five hours to get your work done, especially when it takes me around 30 seconds to read ten handwritten words. I never knew I would go back to the days when I was into code-breaking (Artemis Fowl, anyone?)

For about ten seconds I contemplated uploading some of the portraits of the people I had perused today. Then I realized it was probably unethical. I'm assuming the IRB's willingness to prod these people's memories doesn't extend into my blog.

Okay, back to thematically sorting my quotes, eating my multi-grain cheerios with 1% milk and thinking about the days of yore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Telephone

Red Telephone
My Room, 2008