Sunday, January 3, 2010

Starting with a writer's block

I have a dirty little secret: I've always wanted to blog. In fact, I had an online diary back in the day (and by 'back in the day' I mean back in the early naughties). It was hosted in diaryland.com, and I can't even remember my screename for the life of me. Needless to say, there really wasn't much to uncover in said diary.

This new one is the product of a different writing project, namely, my thesis. Why start an intensive writing project at the same time as a project as demanding as a thesis? Well, I'm not sure. Procrastination, I'm sure is the first reason that comes to mind. But there's something more to be said.

Yesterday, after a grueling 7 hours at Starbucks, cozily spacing out in my booth with my friendly baristas, a friend came to visit me to offer some moral support as I faced the daunting task of writing 1,250 more words for my thesis (alas, I churned out a mere 40). She did mention however, a few words of advice. She recommended that whenever I got stuck, I should just keep writing. Even if my writing included something along the lines of 'I just finished watching an episode of Gossip Girl, I know, the show wasn't on back in the '40s, but it makes you wonder...what did the gays watch back in the '40s to keep themselves entertained?" Granted, I'm sure there was only supposed to be comedic value, but it does make you wonder, what were they doing to keep themselves busy? According to one of my interviewees, they "did a lot of drinking [...] champagne flowed freely back then." In any case, enough about the '40s. We just got to the teens and I'm getting a little bit ahead of myself.

Also, this is by no means supposed to turn into a new Sartorialist, but it's a pretty great opportunity to begin posting some photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Telephone

Red Telephone
My Room, 2008